The Sweet Auburn Curb Market was originally established in 1918 on land cleared by the Great Atlanta fire of 1917. The market, set up in a huge tent, was an immediate success, bringing urban consumers direct access to farmers and their products. Wishing to give the curb market a more permanent home, the Women’s Club of Atlanta raised money for a fireproof brick and concrete building which opened on May 1, 1924, and was called the Municipal Market of Atlanta. At that time, Atlanta was still living under racial segregation and whites shopped inside the market while blacks were only permitted to shop from stalls lining the curb. The market’s current name reflects that era.
Today the market welcomes all people and caters to business people, downtown and in-town residents, as well as students from nearby Georgia State University. It abounds with fresh fish, meats, fruits and veggies, baked goods, hand-made soaps, and many other specialty goods, plus fully cooked foods from every corner of the earth. A collection of small cafes serves daily meals that range from Atlanta’s best soul food to gourmet Italian cuisine and delicious Jamaican favorites. Various entertainers gather around the booths and displays, offering gospel, soul and other forms of musical diversion.
Outside the main entrance stand two large sculptures by Atlanta artist Carl Joe Williams. The artwork was part of the city’s Olympic Art Program, which coincided with the 1996 Summer Olympics, held in Atlanta.
Address: 209 Edgewood Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30303 USA
Map & Driving Directions